I decided to dabble with the tutorial from Andrew Price from YouTube. This is the final render. I have done the tutorial before and there definitely are new differences from the previous tutorial. It does not look quite like Andrew’s donut but I am getting there.
I tried my hand with the Blender Guru tutorial on the donuts. I am happy with the sculpting on this part.
The next was the icing and I decided on chocolate instead of strawberry. I think chocolate is better. I then added that liquidy effect as shown in Andrew Price’s video.
The next part was adding the sprinkles using the particles properties. Above you can see the instance of the sprinkle created.
I added different shape sprinkles to an instance collection and was imported into the particles properties. The colours were created with the ColorRamp property in the shading panel.
I added colour shading with texture paint which makes it look pretty good.
I added colour textures to the donut with noise textures and color mixes. Somehow Andrew Price creates this fluffiness that I can’t seem to acheive. I had tried to modify the texture a little more away from the tutorial settings. I don’t know… Just looks a little crusty… Maybe it is ok…
I have finished the modelling of the cup and saucer and applied a Principle BSDF shader to the cup and saucer in the material properties. In the properties I set the transmission to 1, the roughness to 0 and the value for the base color to 1.
I applied liquid by duplicating the inside faces of the cup, recalculated the normals and added a fill to the top. I applied a slight scaling to the liquid to remove the refraction. A slight curve was added to the top outer edge to create the sense of liquid retention as discussed in the tutorial.
I added Volume Absorption from the Material Properties, changing my water into coffee. I added a lightish yellow to color and set the density to 700.000
I had found that the glare from the cup was kind of driving me nuts. I felt that the color of the coffee was not quite showing. After reading the reader comments of the tutorial for UV unwrapping, I realized my cup’s Normals were not correct.
To fix this I clicked on the drop down for Overlays next to the toggle X-Ray icon and selected Face Orientation under Geometry (check screenshot below). My cup appeared red, but should appear blue like the rest of my objects. To change that I selected my cup and went into Edit Mode. I selected all the cups vertices and hit Alt N to bring up the Normals context box. In Normals context box I selected Flip. My cup turned to blue which meant that my Normals were corrected. I just needed to switch off the Face Orientation, and re-rendered it. It was much better.
The cup had been UV unwrapped and had a water droplets texture map added to the top inside of the cup to create condensation. It was quite a bit to take in, but I think I will at some point it’ll be easier to apply as I practice this more.
Adding a few touch ups here and there. This is how it now looks with the final touches.